Thursday, April 19, 2018

Thursday - 04/19/2018

First mowing of the year!  The mower started right up, no flat tires and I actually had gas in the tank.  The first mowing is usually pretty rough and doesn't look that nice but still it was a great day to be outside.  I was going to mow yesterday but the roofers were here and had some of there equipment laid out on the lawn so I decided to wait.  Plus it was 77 degrees F yesterday and after picking up the sticks in the yard it was pretty warm out!  You know I am a 60's gal.....my favorite temperature range for working outside.   Today was maybe 62 and right now it's 56.....a fleece jacket and I was set to mow!  It was gorgeous with a breeze and blue, blue skies.........perfect!
There's the lake across the street.............BTW that lot is for sale if anyone is interested..........
Everything has bloomed out and the dogwoods are just starting to bloom but the oaks are the last to get their leaves plus the sassafras trees................
These are the big oaks in my front yard but they aren't your typical oak with the recognizable leaves....I think these are burr oaks but don't quote me......they have a slight shade of green so they are getting ready................
Here's my new view from the back yard....I am so thrilled that the electric company cut those trees down for me...........what a view and I don't feel so "hemmed in".
There may be some raking in my future to get the big wood chunks left behind before I mow back there.............but for now I am just enjoying the view.........
here's a zoom.............
This is city property so there will be no building going on back there........
Years ago, a neighbor of my folks, who has since passed, told me there was an old stone wall back there from a farm long ago and because of the ticks, I never went back there but here it is.............can you see it?  One of these days when I mow and drench myself in Deep Woods Off (the only thing that will keep the ticks off).......I will venture back there and investigate.....I love history and it makes me feel more connected to the land when I see evidence of past  generations........
I paid the roofers today and tomorrow I'll be working on clearing out the porch and I'll be able to recover my bowls that were used to catch all the leaks!  Hurray!  As soon as I know it is leak-free after a few storms, I will schedule dry wallers to come and repair the ceiling and walls....this is the 2nd time I have gone through all this.....so much money down the drain.  I don't mind paying for things if they work but throwing it out the window is not fun!  But I think this time I and the roof are good to go...I pray!
I hope Spring is making an appearance in your neck of the woods!
Happy Trails!!! 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the tour of your yard. We have blue skies today too. It's supposed to be cloudy this weekend but no rain is predicted so that's okay and the sun is going to return after that...at least that's what the weather people are promising. Still not much blooming here. No buds on anything. I think the plants are confused with the weather being so chilly. Our grass is green, green, green too and in need of a mow but poor Dennis has been working 12 hour days all week. Big projects in the works but at least he's not traveling to the middle east anymore like he used to. :-) I would be terrified to have him there with the state of the world.
    Anyway, I enjoyed your post today and pray the roofers got it right this time.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful to see your outdoors. We awoke to more snow today in Northern Ohio! Just a dusting but for gosh sake Mother Nature. It warmed up to unzipping my coat this afternoon and it all melted, but down in the 30's after the sun went down. I think we may just skip spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed looking at your views. The Ozarks is such pretty country. I was there several times as a child when my parents took is there for vacations. I do remember the ticks though. Once, we stayed in a cabin and when we turned the beds down they were full of ticks. My mom about had heart failure lol. She marched right to the main office with the sheets in hand and demanded a 'clean' cabin. Nasty little bugs.

    Enjoy your new roof. I pray this ends all your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope your roof is good to go Sam :) Your land is really nice! I would explore too, but yes, get that Deep Woods Off!!! :) I wish I could buy that land across from you, wouldn't it be nice to be neighbours? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOH! I love the pictures of your property, Sam! And it looks so springy! It's starting to warm up here and some folks have started mowing their yards, but ours will probably go another week before it starts to look like much. I'd love to buy the lake property across the street from you! I think you'd make an awesome neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your roof is leak free. I raked up bird seed today and some twigs..the snow is leaving.
    Your lawn looks good and that patch that they cleared out is a pretty spot. Maybe pile it up and have a camp fire:) Roast Marshmallows!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!